Sustainable packaging in Tropicultura
Our packaging is above all sustainable. The plain carrdboard boxes can be mundane, boring or just not so flashy. But the decision to make them that way has been made on purpose.
Get to know our sustainable packaging.
- Minimum of ink. the ink itself is created from numerous chemical compounds that can pollute the soil or water. Among the most common components are oils derived from petroleum (although some brands already use vegetable oils), carbon, titanium dioxide for white colorations, sulfur, known as EDTA and other heavy metals, such as copper and barium, present in cartridges of most shades. For that reason we keep printing on our boxes to a minimum. The body of our packaging comes in the natural color of corrugated cardboard. They are not so in “fashion” but they pollute less.
- Minimum of chemical treatments. Our boxes are made of double-channel corrugated cardboard to give them enough resistance taking into account the weight of the fruit in each box. These boxes do not have any waxing or synthetic laminate treatment. For rainy days or with excess humidity, we run the risk that some box will become excessively weak. For this, we make sure that they leave the field in the best shape to endure the road without problems. In weighing this risk against pollution and avoidable resource waste, we opted for sustainability.
- Dual channel cardboard. The corrugated cardboard of our boxes is double channelled, which means that it has two layers to strengthen its structure and make it safe for fruit delivery. Although not all deliveries come without incidents, it does not happen very often and we take responsibility of derived expenses. ¡Strong boxes without taking it too far!
- Optimized manufacturing and transportation. We receive our cardboard boxes in folded sheet format ( with only one edge glud to fix the box volume once unfolded) which we assemble we assemble on situ when we prepare the deliveries. They come to us from Malaga, the closest place where we could locate them. trying to keep the impact of transport to the minimum. All containers made of cardboard are usually transported in this way, while closed-format plastic bottles and boxes occupy much more volume when transporting from the factory to the packaging area.
The life after-life of our sustainable boxes is in your hands
In the world of packaging, the life that packaging enjoys after its first use, and the environmental impact it has in the form of waste, is very important. Our boxes may not be used to transport fruit again. However, its life does not end when we empty it of our organic avocados.
- The shape of our boxes and their strong structure, allows their continued use to store things and facilitate relocation and removal tasks.
- If you have little ones or pets, we invite you to use the boxes as a source of creativity, entertainment and happiness. There are zillions of craft pages on the internet to take advantage of cardboard boxes. Toddlers, kids and cats are especially prone to enjoy them.
- Composting. Remove the duct tape and put your Tropicultura box it in the compost, wither spread alternating layers with organic waste, or shredded into smaller pieces mixed with the wet organic material.
- If you have a garden with mulch, Spread the boxes underneath to reinforce its control of weeds and water evaporation. First remove the existing mulch, then place the cardboard sheets and covered back with the mulch so that you hide the cardboard sheets.
The filling also counts.
Cherimoyas ( custard apples) are extremely delicate, and our shipments of avocados and amngos outside of Spain require a little more protection, for which we use specific birch shavings certified for use with fresh food products.
Even so, we use this filler when we think it is necessary.
The Cost factor
The simpler the box, the lower the cost. Even if we ignore the impact of the packaging on an environmental level, its cost has a direct impact on the price of the fruit on our website. We are sure that you prefer simple and sustainable packaging that does not increase your bill, after all you are buying organic fruit fruit!